Chicago Farmer’s Market Season officially opens May 11
on Daley Plaza
Although there have been some indoor markets and French markets throughout Chicago’s winter, the official outdoor summer market season kicks off Thursday, May 11, at the Daley Plaza Market.
In addition to the fresh produce, plants, unique Chicago-made products and eclectic street food offered at the Daley Plaza Market, the winner of the COUNTRY Financial® 10th Annual Reusable Bag design contest winner will be announced and visitors to the market will receive complimentary bags.
Chicago Farmer’s Markets take place in neighborhoods across the city from Roseland to Lincoln Square, with new locations this year in Austin and Bronzeville.
Visitors can literally find a different market every day of the week throughout the summer season. There are night markets, day markets, organic markets and even a cheesecake market–Eli’s Cheesecake Farm Stand and Fresh Market.
Many markets offer live music, children’s activities and food vendors including Gayle’s Best Ever Grilled Cheese at the Lincoln Park Green City Market and Rubi’s famous al pastor tacos at the Maxwell Street Market.
Each city market is unique to its location, so cooks and foodies will want to visit as many markets as possible.
Daley Plaza – opens Thursday, May 11
The Daley Plaza Farmers Market at 50 W. Washington St. opens on Thursday, May 11 with a series of opening day activities starting at 11:30 a.m. The market will continue on the plaza from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Thursday through the last Thursday in October.
Maxwell Street Market – Mercado de Maxwell – summer season kicks off Sunday, May 14
The Maxwell Street Market (800 S. Desplaines St.), which runs year round, rain, ice or snow will kick off its summer season on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 14, with a special celebration from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. featuring Latin-themed programming for the entire family on el diá de la Madre.
The celebration will showcase roaming musicians and street food stands offering tamales, banana leaf wrapped tamals, tacos, quesadillas with fresh handmade corn tortillas, elotes and corn cakes. For dessert choices include sorbet, funnel cakes, baked goods and Mangonadas served in a large cup with layers of mango sorbet, mango slices, drizzled with lime, chamoy and sprinkled chili powder.
The market will also present special family programming including Mexican Loteria (B-I-N-G-O) and a hand’s on Mexican toy-making workshop.
In addition to the food and activities, guests can shop for an eclectic variety of bargain-priced goods from tools to tires, fresh produce, furniture/antiques, clothing, plants, rare finds and collectibles. Maxwell Street Market runs 7 a.m.–3 p.m.
A complete list of city-run markets, along with dates and times are listed below:
2017 CHICAGO CITY MARKETS
(All downtown and neighborhood community and farmers markets)
- Loyola Farmers Market (Link), 6550 N. Sheridan Rd., June 5–October 16, 3–7 p.m. (2:30–6:30 p.m. October dates)
- Columbus Park Market (City Market) (Link), 500 S. Central Ave., July 11–September 12; 2–7 p.m.
- Federal Plaza Market (City Market) (Link), 50 W. Adams St., May 16–October 31; 7 a.m.–3 p.m.
- Gary Comer Youth Center Farm Stand (Link), 7256 S. Chicago Ave., June 6–August 29, 3–6 p.m.
- Lincoln Square Market (City Market) (Link), 2301 W. Leland Ave., June 6–October 31; 7 a.m.–1 p.m.
- North Lawndale Market (City Market) (Link), 1420 S. Albany Ave., September 5–October 31; 3–6 p.m.
- PCC Farmers Market (Link), 330 N. Lotus Ave.,June 6–October 31, 12–5 p.m.
- SOAR Farmers Market, 220 E. Chicago Ave., June 6–October 26, 7 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Andersonville Farmers…